GWR Special Saloon No 9004
GWR Special Saloon No 9004 was built by the Great Western Railway at Swindon in 1930 for use in first class charter trains.
This highly luxurious vehicle comes kitted out with comfortable first class seating with tables for 14, an open observation saloon with easy chairs seating seven, a kitchen, galley, fridges, wine coolers, store room, guard’s brake and a toilet. The vehicle is equipped with corridor connections at both ends and Pullman style draw gear. There are observation windows at both ends.
9004 ended her main line career a long way from home as the British Railways North Eastern Region's chief civil engineer's inspection saloon. After purchase for preservation, the coach spent some time at Stapleford Park before moving to Carnforth between 1980 and 1996. She returned to the main line in 1996 as part of the Regency Rail Landcruise set, moving to Resco Rail's Queen of Scots luxury train in 2005 and West Coast Railways at Carnforth in 2008.
The coach is now owned by Railfilms and, before moving to the South Devon Railway in 2013, spent some time on the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway.