February 2012 news round up
All the latest news from the South Devon Railway at the end of February!
• In the workshop, the juggling of contract work and our in house overhauls continues, but GWR 0-6-0PT No 5786 is still expected back in traffic this summer. GWR 0-6-0PT No 6412 is moving ahead and will be with us late 2012 or early 2013.
• We hope to be able to consider the overhaul of GWR 0-4-2T No 1420 once 5786 and 6412 are completed.
• The contract repair of GWR 2-6-2T No 5542 continues. The loco will be run in on the SDR and we hope to hire another auto coach which could give us the chance to run a three coach auto train with a Class 45xx for the first time in preservation.
• In addition to the new fencing around the workshop, additional CCTV has been installed to complement the installations in the Shop and Refreshment Rooms
• The Refreshment Rooms at Buckfastleigh have been refurbished and pictures prepared by Sarah Anne Harvey are to be displayed around the walls.
• The winter Permanent Way works have vastly improved the branch and give a very smooth ride as anyone sampling the half term week services will have discovered.
• The February half term passenger figures were slightly down on last year with 1,675 passengers recorded in 2012 compared to 1,967 in 2011, but the Refreshment Rooms' and Shop’s figures were both up on last year. Running in February does cause us problems in terms of the very limited time that the railway is closed for essential maintenance, but the visitor numbers and figures show it is certainly worth doing!
29th February 2012
GWR 2-6-2T Prairie No 5526. Photo: Sarah Anne Harvey.
Back to News