GWR 2-6-2T 5542
5542 is a regular and welcome visitor to Buckfastleigh.
5542 was built in 1928 by the GWR at Swindon Works and spent part of her life at Cheltenham Malvern Road shed. She was withdrawn in 1961 and went to Barry scrapyard.
5542 was purchased from there by a group of supporters of the West Somerset Railway in 1979 and there followed a 23-year long restoration.
The engine was returned to steam in 2002. Since then, she has successfully worked on the West Somerset Railway, the Gloucestershire & Warwickshire Railway and many other lines. In 2005, she came to us on the South Devon Railway for a season.
5542 is owned by 5542 Ltd, who describe her as the ‘Planet’s Favourite Prairie’!