BR Standard Class 4 2-6-4T No 80064
No. 80064, one of a class of 155 locomotives designed by R. A. Riddles and built by British Railways, is one of 15 class members to survive into preservation. She was built in 1953 at Brighton works.
After nationalisation of the railways in 1948, BR embarked on a programme of design and construction of new standard steam locomotives. One of the most successful of these designs was the 2-6-4 tanks.
80064 started her working life at Watford on BR's London Midland Region before being transferred to the Southern Region in 1959. When displaced by electrification, she moved to the more westerly reaches of the Southern at Exmouth Junction before being absorbed into Western Region stock, when parts of the Southern were absorbed into the Western Region, before being withdrawn from Bristol (Barrow Road) in 1965 and sent to Barry scrapyard in South Wales.
She was bought from the scrapyard by the 80064 Locomotive Fund and moved to Buckfastleigh in 1973 where the long task of restoring was started. She returned to steam in 1981.
In 1984, she was moved by her owners to the Bluebell Railway in Sussex, where she worked for some years, until the expiry of her boiler certificate. She did return to Devon for a short period but then went back to Sussex, where she is now out of service.
80064 approaching Staverton with a short goods train in 1980.