GWR 0-6-0PT 6430
6430 was built in Swindon in 1937, one of the 40-strong 64xx class of Great Western Railway pannier tanks, which were to be found on most parts of the GWR system.
After a couple of years at Kidderminster shed, she spent most of her working life in South Wales, initially at Pontypool, and ended her career in the West Country at Yeovil shed. 6430 was fitted with auto train apparatus, as was the whole class.
6430 was withdrawn by BR in 1964 and sold for scrap to Cashmore's, but immediatley purchased as a source for spares for 6412 and 6435, arriving at Buckfastleigh by rail, behind 6412, on 5th June 1966.
Throughout much of her time on the line, 6430 was out of sight, painted in red oxide primer, which turned progressively more pink with age and wear. Eventually, with no hope of her being restored, she was put up for sale.
Fortunately, she was bought, eventually ending up with her current owner as a kit of parts in 1990. She has since been rebuilt and has even returned for visits to the SDR, in 2006 and again in 2012.
6430 is based on the Llangollen Railway.
Return to Gone but not Forgotten.
Amongst the mess and chaos of Buckfastleigh in the early 1970s, with construction work for the A38 clearly visible behind, 6430 in pink primer is seen coupled to Peckett No 1.
Back at Buckfastleigh and in steam, 6430 waits to work an auto train in 2006.