GWR 2-6-2T 4588
The 4575 class of locomotives, of which 4588 is one, was a variation of the 45xx class, having sloping side tanks with a greater water capacity than their sisters.
No 4588 was built by the GWR in Swindon in 1927 and spent the bulk of her working life in Cornwall, being based in Truro for many years.
After withdrawal from service in the mid sixties, 4588 ended up in Woodham Bros scrapyard in Barry from where, in 1971, she became one of the first of several hundred locomotives to be purchased for preservation. She was bought by the Dart Valley Railway Association (now South Devon Railway Association) for the princely sum of £1750 and sent to British Rail Engineering in her birthplace of Swindon for overhaul, the first steam locomotive to go through their shops for many years, before return to Buckfastleigh.
When the then owners of our line bought the Paignton to Kingswear line in 1973, 4588 was transferred over there, working services for many years.
4588 is currently out of service. 11 members of the class have survived into preservation, including our own No 5526.
Back to Gone but not Forgotten.
4588 stands at Buckfastleigh on 22nd August 1971 in a scene much changed today, before the arrival of the A38 dual carriageway. Photo: Keith Gunner.
A day later, newly restored 4588 rests outside the goods shed at Buckfastleigh. The trees in the background disappeared later the same year with the arrival of the roadworks. Photo: Robin Leach.