L&SWR 0-4-2WT No 30587 (298, 0298, 3298)
No 30587 was designed by W. G. Beattie and built for the London & South Western Railway by Beyer Peacock in 1874.
Originally numbered 298, the locomotive initially worked at Nine Elms in London, the class having proved itself capable of handling the heavy loads and high speeds demanded of them. However, with the arrival of larger locomotives, the class members were transferred to sheds outside the London area.
Some class members were converted to tender engines but, by 1899, most of the class had been withdrawn and scrapped.
However, three engines, No 298 (later British Railways 30587), 314 (BR 30585) and 329 (BR 30586), were transferred in 1895 to Wadebridge shed on the LSWR's Bodmin & Wadebridge line in Cornwall, where they proved ideal for working the very sharply curved Wenford Bridge china clay line and, as a result, became remarkable survivors, not being withdrawn until 1962, over 60 years after their classmates had been consigned to history. Their place at Wadebridge was taken by members of the GWR 1366 class of pannier tank, including our own No 1369.
Of those three, two made it into preservation, No 30585 (314), which is owned by the Buckhamshire Railway Centre at Quainton Road and 30587 (298), which is part of the National Collection. The latter spent many years cosmetically restored in Southern Railway colours as No 3298 and was on display in the museum at Buckfastleigh before it was restored to working order and moved to the Bodmin & Wenford Railway in Cornwall, a few miles from Wadebridge, its home of 67 years.
Back to Gone but not forgotten.