GWR 0-4-2-T 1450 (4850)

The 14xx class was originally numbered in the 48xx series and was introduced in 1928.

1450 was built by the GWR at Swindon in 1935 as no 4850 at a cost of £2255, including £497 for the boiler, and spent much of her working life shedded at Oxford. In January 1952, she was moved to Slough shed, where she remained until 1961 when she returned to Oxford.

In 1962 she came west to Taunton before transfer to the Southern Region and being tried on the steeply graded former London & South Western Railway Axminster to Lyme Regis branch. She was withdrawn from Exmouth Junction shed in May 1965, having covered 823,012 miles, and purchased by the Dart Valley Railway, then owners of our line, and moved to Buckfastleigh.

She became one of the mainstays of the line in the early days of preservation and worked throughout the seventies and eighties between Buckfastliegh and Totnes, before being sold by the DVR to Mike Little who has now restored her to main line standards and teamed her up with auto coach no 178. 1450 can now been seen at a number of preserved railways throughout the country.

In February 2013, 1450 visited the SDR for a special brach line gala. Before departing, she was repainted in the SDR workshops into late British Railways livery, as seen below. 

Three other class members survive: our own 1420, 1442, which worked the Lyme Regis branch with 1450, at Tiverton Museum and 4866 at the Great Western Society in Didcot. 

 

Back to Gone but not Forgotten

 

1450_SGH1679.gif 

 

1450_SGH0671.gif

GWR 0-4-2T no 1450 visiting the SDR in February 2013.

Staverton-1450-on-local-goo.gif

1450 at Staverton on a short goods train to Totnes in 1980. Photo: John Brodribb.