Part of the nationwide Heritage Open Days event; a great opportunity to find out how we run the railway as well as enjoy vintage vehicles and trains all day!
So what's going on?
• SDRT Museum education: 30 minute tours of the military ambulance and Archive Centre.
• Buckfastleigh's original signal box, from the days when the line ran through to Ashburton: open 10am to 4pm.
• SDR Engineering workshop and boilershop: 45 minute tours.
• Parks & Gardens. Buckfastligh has a superb garden: 45 minute tours.
• Heritage diesels on display, including cab visits.
• SDRA Recruitment: Join the supporters' Association in Expressway Models; recruitment stand also in the Booking Hall.
• Miniature Railway and workshops: 30 minute tours.
• Tours of the fairground collection: 30 minute tours, both days.
• Lee Moor Tramway collection: open 10am to 4pm.
• Stanley steam car rides around the site: Saturday only.
The Permanent Way (PW) depot, where we keep all our track maintenance machinery, will be open continuously between 10am and 4pm. A varied selection of PW on-track machinery and plant will be on display, including the tamper, road-railer, TRAMM, Wickham trolleys and diesel shunters. There will be PW personnel on site for some of the event and where possible members of the public will be able to visit the cabs of both the tamper and TRAMM, under supervision. It is also hoped to have demonstration runs with a Wickham trolley.
Staverton's new café coach will be open, where you will also be able to learn about volunteering and becoming a member of the railway.
Guided tours of the various restoration projects taking place at Totnes and supervised tours of the booking office in the station building there, which was rescued from Toller on the Bridport branch: Saturday only.
Our railway ran a further two miles to Ashburton in GWR and British Railways days, but in 1972 they built the A38 over the the trackbed.
Catch our Big Red Routemaster Bus to Ashburton and alight at Peartree, where our SDR Guide will meet visitors and show them the remaining trackbed of the Ashburton branch, plus the buildings that still exist on the site.